The simple things in life are often the most satisfying. At first glance, you’ll think you have the minimalist masterpiece THE FLASH™: Vertical Velocity all figured out; a clean, strong, U-shaped steel track spikes up in two impossibly high directions, one in an ultra-twisted inline curve, and the other straight up. Sounds pretty simple right? Well strap into this suspended spiraling impulse coaster with your feet hanging in the air, and see what surprises this brute has in store.
Do you like your excitement served fast? You will bolt out of the station and get to 70 miles per hour in less than four seconds. Quick, count to four, and that’s how fast you’ll accelerate to top speed.
First you will blast forward up to the 185-foot-tall twisted tower spike and whirl into a spiraling corkscrew. Then you’ll race backwards, back through the station on your way to the 185-foot-tall vertical tower. When you are barreling through the center at top speed and ascending vertically, you’re moving so fast that you feel like you’re about to blast off into outer space. Take a breath before you plummet back down that drop. It’s like throwing a totally vertical free fall into the middle of a roller coaster.
How does THE FLASH: Vertical Velocity get you moving so fast from a total standstill? An unbelievably cutting edge, advanced electromagnet propulsion system does the trick. They call this an impulse coaster, and it’s on of the Midwest’s most extreme thrill rides.
Fun Facts about THE FLASH: Vertical Velocity:
1. This ride was originally named “Vertical Velocity” when it opened with Déjà Vu in 2002.
2. THE FLASH: Vertical Velocity is a launched shuttle-style coaster.
3. This coaster was manufactured by Intamin under the model name Twisted Impulse Coaster.
4. This ride uses a unique motor system known as Linear Introduction Motors, or LIMs for short.
5. The train features inverted, ski-lift style seating.
6. In total, riders cover over 2,700 feet of track on their 45 second ride experience.
7. Riders go vertical three times in the front and twice in the back.
8. There is a total of 630 feet of U-shaped track.
9. THE FLASH: Vertical Velocity is known for the sudden launch, often accompanied by a 3,2,1 countdown.
10. Vertical Velocity was renamed “THE FLASH: Vertical Velocity” with the area’s retheme to DC UNIVERSE™ in 2022.