Theme Park is Ready to Open with Extensive New Safety Measures in Place
Six Flags Great America— the Thrill Capital of the Midwest— will open on April 24, 2021. Governor Pritzker’s announcement earlier today confirmed that the park will open right on time for its 45th year. In accordance with state reopening guidelines for theme parks, Six Flags Great America will operate at reduced attendance levels utilizing a reservation system. The park is also implementing extensive safety
measures including several advanced technology systems to protect guests and employees.
“Six Flags Great America is a beloved summer tradition for many, and we are excited to open our park and get our world-class collection of thrills running again”, said Six Flags Great America Park President Hank Salemi. “Our team is eager to welcome back our guests in a safe environment, providing the much-needed fun we have all missed this past year.”
The park’s reopening plan, which the company developed in consultation with epidemiologists, meets or exceeds federal, state, and local guidelines for sanitization, hygiene, and social distancing protocols and sets the industry standard. Detailed reopening plans include:
Park Reservations System to Manage Attendance Levels
The park will employ an online reservation system to manage attendance, schedule guests for entry by day, and to stagger arrival times to allow for social distancing. All Members, Season Pass holders and all guests with a single-day or group ticket will need to make a reservation at www.sixflags.com/reserve. Guests who need single day tickets will be able to reserve during the purchase process.
Health Screenings for Guests and Team Members
• Contactless IR thermal imaging will be used to screen temperatures of guests and employees will be screened utilizing touchless systems;
• Individuals will be required to acknowledge and abide by the company’s health policies, which includes not entering the park if guests have recently been exposed to or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19;
• Following CDC guidelines, all guests over the age of two and all team members will be
required to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth throughout their visit/work
• Masks will be available for purchase at the front gate for any guest without one; and
• Masks will be required while experiencing a ride or attraction.
Strictly Enforced Social Distancing
• Easy to identify distance markers will be added to all park entry, ride, restroom, retail
locations, and dining queue lines;
• Dining areas will be adjusted to allow ample space between seated parties;
• Advanced security screenings will enable touchless bag checks;
• Capacity at indoor venues and on some attractions will be reduced to meet social
distancing requirements; and
• Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet.
Extensive Sanitization and Disinfecting Protocols
• Trained and dedicated cleaning teams have been put in place;
• Rides, restraints, and handrails will be cleaned throughout the day in accordance with
• Team members will frequently sanitize and disinfect high-touch points, including the
o Public Seating
o Trash Cans
• Restroom staff will be stationed to disinfect each stall and sink area on a frequent basis;
• Multiple hand-washing and alcohol-based hand-sanitizer stations will be located
throughout the parks; and
• All team member work areas will be regularly sanitized and disinfected.
Sanitized Food Preparation and Service
• Modified menus and implementation of mobile food ordering will help facilitate touchless
• Self-service buffets and salad bars will be reconfigured to eliminate guest contact with
• Condiments, self-serve cutlery, and napkins will be provided to guests with their meals
as required; and
• Beverages will be served by attendants; any drink bottle refills will be served in a paper
cup each time guests refill.
Commercial-Grade Cleaning Equipment and Supplies
• All employees will be issued Team Member Action Packs which will include the following
items: a safety face mask, safety glasses, and disposable gloves;
• Low pressure backpack sprayers will be utilized for disinfecting large areas;
• Abundant supplies of sanitizers and disinfectants will be available;
• Microfiber cloths will be used to sanitize surfaces; and
• Queue line supplies, fencing, and tents will be in place to promote safe social distancing.
Multi-Layered Guest and Team Member Communication
• Frontline team members will go through extensive COVID-19 training;
• Safety messaging and reminders will be displayed on Six Flags’ website, and in
• Distance markers and physical distance indicators will be in place; and
• Informational safety signage will be posted throughout the park.
The Six Flags brand is synonymous with family fun and thrills for all ages. These significant new
changes are designed to improve the overall park experience while keeping guests and