The Great Escape & Hurricane Harbor Opening Weekend
For Immediate Release
Summer Fun Has Officially Returned at The Great Escape
Theme Park Opens for a Safe and Thrilling Season
LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. — April 21, 2021 — The Great Escape & Hurricane Harbor, upstate New York’s most thrilling theme and waterpark, is set to open for the season May 1. Opening weekend at The Great Escape is a sure sign that summer fun has officially returned, and this year’s season is packed with thrills for the entire family, including the all-new high-flying thrill ride, Adirondack Outlaw. The Great Escape will be open weekends and select dates with the opening of Hurricane Harbor on May 29, and daily operation beginning June 24.
“We are incredibly excited to welcome our guests back to The Great Escape this season,” said Six Flags Great Escape Resort Park President, Rebecca Wood. “We continue to keep the health and safety of our guests and team members a top priority, and we are laser-focused on delivering a safe and thrilling experience for our guests during their visit.”
As one of the largest seasonal employers in the area, Six Flags Great Escape Resort is currently hiring hundreds of team members for the 2021 season. Applicants may now apply for jobs in a completely virtual and contact-free environment. Interested candidates may apply online at sixflagsjobs.com and select “Lake George, Great Escape.” All interviews and training are done virtually.
Six Flags Great Escape Resorts offers a variety of entry-level positions, with select positions starting at $15.00 per hour. A variety of positions are available, including: ride operations, lifeguards, food & beverage services, security, and warehouse team members.
A new drive-thru hiring event will take place this Saturday, April 24 from 10:00am – 2:00 pm, at The Great Escape guest parking lot, 89 Six Flags Drive, Queensbury NY 12804. Applicants can apply online prior to the hiring event, but welcome drive up applicants as well. Interviews will be done at a safe distance from the applicant’s car, and applicants, as well as interviewers will be required to wear a face covering throughout the interview process.
Park Reservations System to Manage Attendance
The Great Escape will be operating under state and local guidelines for crowd capacity limits. The park has established attendance caps that will be well below the park’s theoretical capacity in order to allow for proper social distancing. All Members, Season Pass Holders and guests with a single-day or group ticket will need to make a reservation at www.sixflags.com/reserve. Guests who need single-day tickets will be able to reserve during the purchase process. The process will take 5-7 minutes, and guests will complete the following steps:
- Enter their online order number, ticket number or Membership/Season Pass number;
- Select the day and the approximate time they want to visit;
- Acknowledge their understanding of the company’s health policy;
- Order pre-paid parking, if they do not already have a parking pass; and
- Watch a brief video describing new social distancing and sanitization procedures.
Reservations are now open and available for guests. They will be contacted electronically (either by email, text or both) the day before their scheduled visit to confirm their intent to visit and their continued healthy status. Guests may cancel their reservation without penalty any time before 8:00 a.m. (local time) on the day of their scheduled visit. Members and Season Pass Holders will receive booking priority over single-day and group ticket buyers.
Health and Safety Measures
Six Flags Great Escape Resort will continue to meet or exceed the New York state safety guidelines. Examples of these safety measures and protocols currently include:
Health Screenings for Guests and Team Members
- Contactless IR thermal imaging will be used to screen temperatures of guests and employees prior to entry; and individuals will be asked if they are healthy and will be required to acknowledge the company’s health policies;
- All guests over the age of two and all team members will be required to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth throughout their visit/work day; and
- Any guest without a mask will be able to purchase one at the front gate.
Strictly Enforced Social Distancing
- Easy to identify distance markers will be added in all park entry, ride, restroom, retail locations, and dining queue lines;
- Dining areas will be adjusted to allow ample space between seated parties;
- Guests will be separated by empty rows and/or seats on all roller coasters, rides, and attractions;
- Six-foot viewing areas will be marked for guests to observe game play; arcade games will be reconfigured or deactivated to comply with social distancing requirements;
- Advanced security screenings will enable touchless bag checks;
- Capacity at indoor venues will be reduced to meet social distancing requirements; and
- Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet.
Extensive Sanitization and Disinfecting Protocols
- Trained and dedicated cleaning teams have been put in place;
- Increased sanitization and disinfecting of high touch points including all public seating, tabletops, counters, doors, and trash cans will occur frequently;
- Rides, restraints, and handrails will be cleaned throughout the day;
- Restroom staff will be stationed to disinfect each stall and sink area on a frequent basis;
- Multiple hand-washing and alcohol-based hand-sanitizer stations will be located throughout the park; and
- All team member work areas will be regularly sanitized and disinfected.
Sanitized Food Preparation and Service
- Modified menus and implementation of mobile food ordering will help facilitate touchless transactions;
- Self-service buffets and salad bars will be reconfigured to eliminate guest contact with food;
- Condiments, self-serve cutlery, and napkins will be provided to guests with their meals as required; and
- Beverages will be served by attendants, and guests will receive any drink bottle refills in a paper cup each time they refill.
Commercial-Grade Cleaning Equipment and Supplies
- All employees will be issued Team Member Action Packs which will include: a safety face mask, safety glasses, and disposable gloves;
- Low pressure backpack sprayers will be utilized for disinfecting large areas;
- Abundant supplies of sanitizers and disinfectants will be available;
- Microfiber cloths will be used to sanitize surfaces; and
- Queue line supplies, fencing, and tents will be in place to promote safe social distancing.
New Cards and Mobile Payments Only Options
- All locations including restaurants, retail stores, games, ticket windows, and parking toll booths will only accept card and mobile payments;
- Guests can either pay for purchases using a Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or a debit card.
- Guests can convert cash to a prepaid debit card at one of four ReadyCard kiosks located throughout the theme park. There’s no fee to convert your cash!
- It’s required that guests pre-purchase parking, tickets, and more online before visiting the park.
Multi-Layered Guest and Team Member Communication
- Frontline team members will go through extensive COVID-19 training;
- Safety messaging and reminders on Six Flags’ website, newsletters, in-park announcements, and recorded phone messages will occur frequently;
- Distance markers and physical distance indicators will be in place; and
- Informational safety signage will be posted throughout the park.
About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company and the largest operator of waterparks in North America, with 27 parks across the United States, Mexico, and Canada. For 59 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling waterparks and unique attractions. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com.
About Six Flags Great Escape Resort
Six Flags Great Escape Resort is the quintessential location to play, stay and get-away. This unique family vacation features a 200-suite Adirondack-themed lodge with an indoor waterpark, and The Great Escape and Hurricane Harbor offers over 135 rides, shows and attractions, including an outdoor waterpark. The Great Escape theme park features thrilling coasters like the Comet, family-friendly kids’ areas and hours of fun for everyone.
Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/SF_GreatEscape
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/sixflagsgreatescape
Follow us Instagram @SixFlagsGreatEscape