April 25, 2014
Six Flags Great America Opens for the 2014 Season
14 Roller Coasters in 2014
Six Flags Great America welcomes guests to opening weekend and the start of a Goliath season! From springtime events to the launch of the world’s fastest wooden roller coaster with the tallest and steepest drop, Six Flags will be the premiere destination for families this summer. To kick off the 2014 season on May 3 guests may purchase tickets for $20.14 online at www.sixflags.com/greatamerica.
Six Flags Great America is excited to launch a full season of heart pounding coasters, festivals, events, top-tier entertainment and premier guest benefits that ensure a value-packed experience for the entire family. Some of the major headlines this season include events, anniversaries and the launch of the triple world record breaking, Goliath!
- Opening Weekend (May 3-4) – Kick off the season with a discounted ticket online for $20.14.
- Grad Nite (May 17) – A safe and sober overnight lock-in event for high schools to celebrate the end of the school year.
- Teen Truth Anti-Bullying Event (May 21) – This event is open to middle and high schools and features a multi-media presentation by Teen Truth. This is an interactive presentation and challenges the students to stop bullying and create a safe school climate
- Rock the Block Memorial Day Weekend (May 24-25) – Great America kicks off the unofficial start to summer with the opening of Hurricane Harbor, plus festival activities in the theme park and a fireworks show on Saturday and Sunday!
- July 4th Fest (July 4-6) – A three day patriotic Independence Day festival with early ride time on select rides, live entertainment, specialty grilled foods and a full firework display on July 4, 5 and 6.
- Coaster Fest (Aug 30-31) – A Labor Day weekend end of summer celebration featuring Great America’s world-class roller coasters including fireworks on Saturday and Sunday!
- Mardi Gras area (2004) – 10 years
- Raging Bull (1999) – 15 years
- Condor (1989) – 25 years
- Roaring Rapids (1984) – 30 years
“Six Flags Great America is proud to provide close to home, affordable family fun. From extreme coasters like Raging Bull and soon, Goliath to a nighttime parade, our guests will find thrills throughout their day,” said park president Hank Salemi.
This year, Great America will annihilate all other wooden-coaster records with the introduction of Goliath, which will shatter not one, but three world records and become the most extreme wooden coaster on the planet. Goliath will take riders up a 165-foot lift hill super structure, then plunge them down a record-setting 180-foot, near vertical 85-degree drop. Riders will experience record-breaking speeds of up to 72 mph and blast into jaw dropping tricks including three over-banked turns, and two upside down maneuvers – a 180-degree Zero-G roll into an inverted drop and an inverted Zero-G stall. Goliath is scheduled to open late May.